This weekend I started a new sewing project. A very good friend of mine asked me to make a t-shirt quilt from the many shirts she collected during her college years. Now, I have never before sewn with t-shirt fabric, but I was willing to give it a try. I have to say, it was a little unnerving to cut up someone else’s clothes, but after the first few, I got the hang of it.
There was a lot of math involved to figure out how to get all the designs incorporated without having to make any extra cuts. After five hours of cutting and arranging, my brain was very tired, but I had everything cut and labeled.
The material is very stretchy and that made it very difficult to get square and even cuts, but I am hoping with a half inch seam allowance and a zig-zag stitch, that any differences in block size will be eased in.
My machine had a lot of trouble adjusting at first. The thread kept breaking and I had trouble finding the right tension to keep the stitches flowing along nicely. Thankfully, we have decided to back the blanket with fleece and tie it, so after I assemble the top, all the sewing will be done except for the binding. I think my machine will thank me for that. I will let you know how it turns out.