Finishing Flurry

Last week, I was able to finish two big knitting projects, just in time for the weather to get warmer!  The first was a test knit that I have been working on since the beginning of January.  It’s Milk Stout by Thea Colman in Harrisville Highland yarn.

The cables on this sweater are great and the ribbing makes the sweater very cozy.  It’s the perfect oversized sweater to wear over one or two layers in the coldest part of winter when you just want something that will keep you extra warm.  It could double as a jacket if worn with a nice scarf or cowl and some mittens.  The only thing that is lacking is a pair of pockets.  It feels so much like a sweater jacket that I actually did reach down the other day and try to put my hands in pockets that weren’t there.  Hmm.  I might have to look into how to put in afterthought pockets.

Anyway, this yarn color, garnet, was really hard to photograph.  It is not pink or purple or red, but somehow a combination of all of those.  My only complaint with the yarn is that there were a lot of knots in the skeins, but that did not end up mattering really.  The yarn was very easy to spit splice together, so I actually had very few ends to weave in once I was done.

Now, because this was a test knit, there ended up being one or two things I would have done differently if I had to do it again.  Firstly, I would have made a smaller size.  The ribbing stretches quite a bit once the weight of the entire sweater is hanging off of it, so the gauge swatch I did was quite deceptive.

Secondly, I don’t normally pay much attention to row gauge, but because the yoke is knited all in one piece, row gauge actually becomes quite an important factor.  Mine was off a little and I was able to account for that, but the yoke still turned out a bit too big.  Combine that with the stretchiness of the rib and the yoke ended up feeling way too big.

However, I was able to fix it with a bit of crocheting.  Basically, I put a line of single crochet stitches on the back where it meets the collar and around each armhole (skipping the saddle shoulder part).  This created some stable faux seams that work to prevent the knitted fabric from stretching any more than I wanted it to.  It looks like this.

Before I did the crochet, it looked like this.  See how wide the neck of the sweater wanted to stretch?

Now, the sweater is still roomy, but it fits much better and I did not have to rip out the whole yoke and reknit.  That is a win in my book!

The second sweater I finished last week was my Stopover sweater.

This one took less than 20 hours and resulted in a light, comfy, and great fitting sweater.  All in all, this was a fabulously fun knit, mostly because it was so fast and the product was the sort of sweater that you don’t mind having multiples of. In fact, I was so smitten with it that I almost immediately cast on another, but I stopped myself.  Because spring is coming and I suddenly found myself dreaming about knitting shawls and fingering weight sweaters.

Spring.  It’s coming.

 

Advertisements

Posted on March 2, 2016, in Finished, Knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.

  1. awesome sweaters! And winter’s not done yet, I suspect 🙂

  2. Love them both! Cascade Eco is one of my favorite yarns…so stable and durable and I love the garnet color of the first sweater. Beautiful cables, too!

  3. The sweaters are beautiful!

  4. I was just looking at Milk Stout the other day as a potential for a gift sweater! I wondered if it would show up on your projects page! Meanwhile, back to my spinning and knitting.

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: