Pink is Next
Well, my olympic knitting sweater project is coming along nicely.
As I predicted, it has been nice to have lots and lots of stockinette stitch knitting to do while I watched the hours of olympic sports coverage. For the first 12 inches, the knitting seemed to just fly by. I couldn’t believe how fast it was knitting up but then, things sort of ground to a crawl. I would do an hour or so of knitting, take a measurement, and find that it had not really grown much at all. This happened several times and is common to all knitters at some point. We like to call it the black hole of knitting. Somehow, lots of yarn is being knit, but the project does not grow. Most likely, it suffers from the malady of overattention. The solution, of course, is to ignore it entirely and keep knitting, without taking measurements. Then, inevitably, the knitter will overshoot the mark and have something too long. Such is the way of knitting.
Fortunately, I had cookies and sleeves to help me along and break up the monotony a little. A couple of nights ago, I declared the bottom part of the body done ( I was close enough to the required measurements and you know how much measurements lie anyway) and attached the sleeves. Last night, I began the colorwork.
This is my favorite part. The only problem is that it is hard to watch the actual olympic sports and pay attention to what color I am supposed to be knitting at the same time. I will persevere, though, and hope that if I slow down my knitting a little, I will not make any horrendous mistakes.
Meanwhile, I have also been working on my Carbeth sweater here and there. I finished the first sleeve, which hardly took any time at all, and began the second. The pattern says to knit the body first and then the sleeves, but I wanted to do the sleeves first so that they would match. Unfortunately, my weighing system did not work out as well as I had hoped, and I was short about an inch or so of the dark brown for the second sleeve.
This, I knew, would bother me, and since I was not too far along, I went ahead and fixed it, using some of the dark brown I had reserved for the body. Good thing I knit the sleeves first! This made me much happier, mostly because I think that, visually, it would be noticeable if the sleeves did not match, but not so jarring if the body does not match the sleeves since they are different shapes.
Things are coming along nicely now, and I am interested to see how the body will look once it’s finished. I’m planning to make the body longer than the pattern calls for. It’s too cold around here for a cropped chunky weight turtle-necked sweater.
All the brown and neutral colors were starting to get to me, though. So, yesterday, I decided to quite waiting for a “convenient time” and warp my long hibernating loom.
Despite doing it wrong ( I warped around the wrong beam in the back), I think it will still work and carried on. It only took three hours to get it ready to finally to some weaving. Hopefully, that time will decrease with practice!
The weaving goes fast, though, and I am really enjoying the colors moving past. This is some variegated yarn stash that I have struggled to find a knitting project for and just last week, I had the inspiration that weaving with it would be perfect and I was right.
For the warp yarn, I am using a giant cone of sock yarn that I bought at a seconds table several years ago at Rhinebeck. I’m pretty sure I have enough yarn to make several scarves/wraps/cowls with it. I definitely have plenty of variegated yarn in the stash to use with it as well. I’m so happy to be weaving again. I forgot how much I enjoy it.
And the colors are cheering me up during these late winter dreary days. I think after those two brown sweaters above are done, I’m going to knit some colorful things. Pink sounds good to me right now.